Sunday, January 22, 2017

Reading Options

Aesop for Children is my choice for Week 2 readings. I am not familiar with Roman and Greek fables however I am aware of the rich traditions and history that go along with the fables. I chose this story source to learn more about the Greek and Roman tradition through stories and morals that they portrayed in stories for children. I also acknowledge that language used is heavy and tough to comprehend in some instances so I thought children’s stories would be easier for me to understand. There’s definitely a connection between the themes of the stories and some of the movies but I am more interested in the general knowledge I can gain from this.


The second unit I decided to choose for later this semester is within the Middle eastern culture. Being Middle Eastern I’ve always heard tales about Sindbad and seen a couple of cartoons and movies that included this character. I decided to choose “The voyages of Sindbad”. I already have some prior knowledge to this legend but with the readings I will learn even more about the voyages and what messages are portrayed with this legend. Additionally, I was not aware that there are 7 famous voyages, so yes there’s a lot more I’m looking forward to learn!

7voyage.jpg
(illustration by H. J. Ford) 


Since I was born and lived in England for 4 years I’ve always had interest in learning more of the culture and traditions. English fairy tales are a great way to enhance my knowledge on the English tradition. Also, since I went to an American school since Middle school it would be nice to see the correlation and/or differences in the stories that are taught in both cultures. Additionally, many of these fairy tales were displayed in movies so it would be nice to see the differences and compare.  


No comments:

Post a Comment